Some silk papers I made yesterday. This first one is white mulberry silk overlaid with dyed carrier rods and throwsters waste stabilised with soluble fabric solution. It's a bit gaudy, but I'll probably chop it up and use small pieces.
I quite like this next one, somewhat quieter than the first. This is sericin paper, I used a base of raw silk fibres overlaid with raw woven carrier rods. The whole was laid on baking parchment and sprayed with water. Another sheet of parchment then ironed on hot until dry. The water and heat dissolve the sericin which makes the 'glue' to hold it all together,
I like the gaudy one too. I have been using some of the gaudy pieces with beading and hand embroidery. I glue a tiny square onto a piece of 5 X 7 watercolor painted paper and then frame it. These make great donations to charity auctions. It is handmade, and not too expensive, and they look great.
Good idea Judy. I've spent this afternoon in the garden, in this incredible sunshine stiching pieces of some other silk 'paper' I made last year on to a piece of scrap felt. I've embroidered each piece in a sort of landscape design, just anything which the pieces suggested. I quite like some and not others, and will find a use for those I like best.