These are a couple of pieces I made recently using felt offcuts. They are both machine stitched. This first one was made using thin strips of offcuts:
This next one was using very thin pieces, lacy edges and wispy bits pulled from nuno experiments:
The blue strips were just sewn onto some thin cotton fabric, then put through the washing machine. For the multi piece, I used some interfacing then white prefelt, and this was put through the washing machine too. You can see in the top right, the interfacing wasn't quite big enough so that bit went wonky.
I made a white one over the weekend, but used a large piece of muslin under the prefelt.
The blue one actually looked better before, but the pieces I used were from 'good' felt. I had thought about book covers, or camera cases, but really just wanted to try something out. They did shrink, the multi one shrank more because the pieces were less felted before.
Judith, I have lots of large Flora tubs with labels on them like 'Medium wide' 'small narrow'. Thornton's continental box is good for 'Long and thin' ones
One thing I learnt after the first ones, it will try to felt to itself, so for my white one I tacked some netting to the front and back and it was neater.
Oh, we are on the same train of thought. I am working the same process with cotton snippets. I use water soluble stabilizer to sew it all down and then put it in the washer and dryer. I am doing a series of these because I just love doing them and I have so many exhibits coming up. It is a lot of work, but the results are so tactile. I love what you have done.